Friday, August 16, 2013

Nexus buyers and iPad users

Interesting chart in SAI today, and accompanying text mentions Tim Cook saying "I don't know what [Android tablets] are being used for because that’s a pretty, the basic function is web browser " in reaction to the fact that  latest data shows the iPad has 84% of web browser usage in North America.  Android reportedly has 63% of the tablet market, but only 16% of the web traffic.

Good tidings to hear on the day Amazon "Delivery tracker" tells me my ipad is "Out for delivery" (yohoo!). So here's my take:

I've observed this buy vs use myself- I bought the Nook, an android ebook reader. Now the product experience was unsatisfactory, and I've read in total 4 books in 3 years, on it. In fact, I bought a flurry of hard copy books just a month after I bought the Nook, mainly in exasperation when I realized that the Nook is going to do me no good.

When people buy an Apple product, there's initially high usage because;
1. There is much positivity around the product leading to the buy, and this positivity spills over to the first few months of ownership.
2. Comsumer has paid much more for the product than for an equivalent Android device, so the consumer tells himself to get good value for money by using the device.

On a longer term, usage might be high because the product itself might be designed well, so as to encourage usage.

This also means that Apple on its Safari gets much more data to play with than Google on its Chrome. And data is king innit. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am no fan of Android tablets but your comparison with Nook (as an Android tablet) with Ipad is a bit unfair. A Nexus/Samsung tablet vs Ipad would be a more appropriate and like-for-like comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right, that's not an apples to apples comparison, pun intended, but, weak points in my defence:
    1. Those are the two handheld devices ive had so far.
    2. Perhaps Apple would never have launched such a device where there is scope for low usage
    3. Think of the Micromax tablets which are akin to Nook in the boundaries of this argument- people buy because its cheap and just don't use. Fragmentation of this sort is a problem for Droid, innit. All Apple store apps work on Mini and Full ipad because of full resolution (right? or something on those lines) so enhances experience and thus encourages usage over many years.






    ReplyDelete